And for the sake of students’ protection, the hostels should be opened, with all utility services in place, students demand
Students of Jahangirnagar University gave an ultimatum on Sunday – a case be filed within 24 hours against the identified men from Savar who had attacked university students over a cricket tournament or the administration will face tougher actions.
On behalf of the students, Samia Hasan Litu, from the government and politics department, said a case should be filed in 24 hours to try the premeditated attack and those who had taken shelter in adjacent Gerua village be brought back safely to the campus.
And for the sake of students' protection, the hostels should be opened, with all utility services in place, Litu said at a press conference at the university, placing a 6-point demand.
The authority has to compensate all students who endured injuries and damages; Bearing treatment expenditure of the injured will not be enough, Litu said.
Students at the press conference also demanded that the university authorities take care of the safety of the students who live outside the campus but in the neighbourhoods, and deal with the tensed situation that arouse out of the 19 February incident.
Another student, Afnan Sadiq, from the philosophy department, said, "If the administration does not register a case within the time, we will go for tougher actions. We want arrest and quick trial of the attackers."
Motaher Hossain, chairman of the provost committee of Jahangirnagar University, said, "Of course we will lodge a case over the attack on students, but it is not the time yet."
Meanwhile, violating the instruction of the administration, students broke into the halls.
On this, Motahar said, "We request students to obey decisions taken by the university syndicate and leave the halls. However, we don't have any intension to take legal action or pressurise the students into leaving the halls."
Prof Anu Muhammad, of the economics department, told The Business Standard that the authorities' indecisive role over opening of the campus and holding class examinations had culminated in the violence on Friday night.
The university cannot reject its failure and negligence.
"This autonomous institution has to meet all the demands and ensure safety of all."
Kamrul Ahsan, a teacher of the psychology department, said students had been injured and were in danger because of the disqualified administration.
"Construction workers are allowed to stay in the campus amid Covid-19 but students are forbidden from staying in the halls though there is enough space for them. But examinations online are underway. Such harassment of the students has to stop."
Meanwhile, students are suffering from food shortages. Villagers around the campus stopped selling food items to students.
Fifteen students are undergoing treatment at hospital.
The administration has put on locks again at the doors of eight halls for female students.
The students announced that they would wait until Monday noon to break the lock of at least one hall to take shelter. Male students have already been living in their dormitories since Saturday night.
Acting proctor ASM Feroz Ul Hasan said, "We are accepting some of the demands. But the state will make the decision on the demand that residential halls be opened."
Vice Chancellor Farzana Islam could not be reached for comments.
On Friday evening, a group of people centring on a cricket tournament asked locals from the loudspeaker of a local mosque to get whatever they had to attack students to "protect their honour". That led to violence injuring 50 students.