The government has taken this initiative to keep students in touch with academic activities during the coronavirus pandemic
Sangsad TV will broadcast classes for secondary-school level students from tomorrow (Tuesday).
Thirty-five recorded class lectures will be aired from 9am to 9pm every day as per their class routine. More than one crore students are expected to be available to watch lessons on their television screens.
The government has taken this initiative to keep students in touch with academics during the coronavirus pandemic.
But no such measures have been taken for continuation of classes for primary level students.
Professor Md Shahedul Khabir Chowdhury, director (college, administration) of the Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE), told The Business Standard that they will be able to complete recordings of class lessons by today.
"We are going to telecast classes from Tuesday on Sangsad TV, and this will continue till Thursday. This week, it is not mandatory for students to be present for televised classes,"
"But all students who have televisions in their homes must attend classes from next week. Our field-level officials will provide students with TVs if they do not have one in their home," he added.
"The classes will not be aired on Fridays," Khabir Chowdhury said.
He urged parents to ensure that their children do not miss the on-air classes. Schoolteachers have also been asked to monitor and encourage students to tune in.
A parent named Shahjahan Saju said his son is now whiling away time idly at home. The broadcasting of classes on TV will keep him and other students connected with study.
"I thank the government for taking an excellent and timely decision," he added.
Director General of DSHE Professor Dr Syed Md Golam Faruk said no one knows when the coronavirus situation will come under control.
"We are going to start broadcasting classes to keep them in touch with education," he said.
"We have recorded class lectures delivered by experienced teachers. I believe students will enjoy the classes and take lessons as they do in their schools," he added.
Meanwhile, the government has asked the directorate of primary education to prepare a plan for around two crore students.
Akram Md Akram-Al-Hossain, secretary to the Primary and Mass Education Ministry, told The Business Standard yesterday, "We have asked the director general of the directorate of primary education to design a lesson plan to continue classes at home. We will be able to do it by next week," he said.
Earlier on March 16, the government closed all educational institutions from March 17 to 31 as a precautionary measure against coronavirus. Students have also been asked to stay at home during this period.