Health ministry Joint Secretary Zillur Rahman Chowdhury issued the order Tuesday
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has ordered all health directorate officials to refrain from speaking in public or to the media without prior permission.
The ministry's Joint Secretary Zillur Rahman Chowdhury issued the order on August 4.
A ministry circular said several health directorate officials are taking part in media programmes as spokespersons and representing the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS).
"Apart from regular briefings, statements and comments of the participants often put the government in awkward situations," it said.
According to the new order, DGHS officials from now on will require a prior approval from the directorate chief to take part in any event, campaign or to talk to the media.
Moreover, the official must be at least of director rank in the health directorate.
The ministry circular said, "It is imperative to follow rules and regulations properly while representing the government to the public via media events."
Previously in April, the Directorate General of Nursing and Midwifery also ordered all its officials and employees at government hospitals to refrain from speaking in public or to the media without prior permission.
Health Minister Zahid Maleque in that month also asked health officials to be careful about making media statements.