Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation sources said the government incurred a loss of Tk 5 crore during the five-day strike
State-owned jute mill workers in Khulna returned to factories on Saturday after five days of continuous protests halting protest that cost the government millions of taka.
They resumed work following assurance of implementation of the national wage commission-2015 by January 16. The decision was taken after a meeting with State Minister for Labour and Employment Monnujan Sufian and other stakeholders on January 2.
Collective Bargaining Agents (CBAs) and non-CBA Sangram Parishad joint convener Md Murad Hossain said they called off their fast-unto-death protest after the government assured them of paying the dues within the next 15 days through pay slip as per the National Pay Scale-2015.
Around 50,000 workers of Star, Platinum, Crescent, Alim, Eastern, Daulatpur and Khalishpur jute mills in Khulna and JJI and Carpeting jute mills in Jashore went on hunger strike on December 29 to press for demands including payment of outstanding wages and implementation of the wage commission.
Bangladesh Jute Mills Corporation sources said the government incurred a loss of Tk 5 crore during the five-day strike.
Three meetings were held on December 15, 22, and 26 over the workers' demands but they ended without any results.
Workers of the state-owned jute mills had earlier gone on work abstention and observed fast-unto-death from December 10 to December 13 to press for their demands.