Two workers died from electrocution while trying to connect a new power supply to the PCR lab room at Rangamati Medical College Hospital on Tuesday.
The incident took place around 10:30 am.
The deceased are Anwar Hossain, 28, and Abdul Aziz, 26. The two lived in a rented house in the reserve market of Rangamati town. They hailed from Ishwardi.
According to Rangamati Medical College Hospital sources, work was underway to set up a PCR lab for coronavirus testing on the 1st floor of the temporary building of Rangamati Medical College Hospital adjacent to Rangamati General Hospital.
Two workers were digging to set up a power line from the main line. While doing so, they received an electric shock from another power line under the ground and died on the spot.
The bodies of the deceased were recovered and taken to the morgue of Rangamati General Hospital.
ASM Sanaullah, executive engineer of the public works department, Rangamati, said, "The accident happened because the workers were working carelessly."