The animal was electrocuted by an unplanned power line while searching for food
A wild elephant has died in Teknaf, Cox's Bazar after its trunk came in to contact with a power transmission line.
The incident took place in Khanda Kata area of Paschim Pankhali in Hnila Union on Friday morning, confirmed Teknaf Range Officer of Cox's Bazar South Forest Department Syed Ashiq Ahmed.
Wildlife researcher Shital Kumar Nath, who visited the spot and observed the situation, said the 40 to 50-year-old elephant was electrocuted by an unplanned power line while searching for food.
There were no signs of illness or other injuries on the elephant's body, he added.
Citing locals, he added that a wild elephant's call woke them in the morning. At the break of dawn, the locals went to the source of the sound and saw that the elephant's trunk was stuck with the electric wire.
According to the range officials, this was like an act of murder because, in the hilly areas, the power lines have been extended so low on roads that any elephants walking by could die.
Mentioning that necessary legal action is underway, Forest Officer Ashiq Ahmed said that the elephant carcass was being buried after completion of the autopsy on the advice of senior officials.