This is the first time such action has been taken by the authorities against a citizen of the country
A Singaporean national's passport has been cancelled for disregarding stay-home notice rules of the country.
This is the first time such action has been taken by the authorities against a citizen of the country, reports the Straits Times.
The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) on Sunday said that Mr Goh Illya Victor, 53, travelled from Singapore to Batam, Indonesia, on March 3.
About two weeks later, on March 19, he returned to Singapore via Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal and was served with the notice upon entry.
But he went back to Indonesia that same day, despite the stay-home notice and warnings from ICA officers that upon breaching the notice he could face penalties.
Those under the notice are not allowed to leave their homes for 14 days and upon flouting they can face a fine of up to $10,000, be jailed for up to six months, or both.
On March 24, he returned to Singapore through the Singapore Cruise Centre and was issued a second notice.
The ICA said to the Straits Times that Mr Goh displayed "irresponsible conduct" for not complying with the first stay-home notice and then returning to Singapore on March 24.
"In view of the willful breach, ICA has cancelled his passport and referred the case to the Ministry of Health for investigation," the ICA said in a statement.
This means that Mr Goh, without a valid passport, cannot leave the country.
He remains a Singapore citizen but without a valid passport.
He is the first citizen that the ICA has taken such action against. Last month, a 45-year-old permanent resident was barred from re-entering Singapore and lost his residency after breaching stay-home rules.
All travelers from Asean countries have had to observe the stay-home notice from 11.59pm on March 16.
This was expanded to all countries from March 20, and from Friday, all travelers entering Singapore had to also submit a health and travel declaration before being cleared for entry.