Saudi Arabia announced on Monday the detection of the first coronavirus case, a Saudi national traveling from Iran to the Kingdom through Bahrain, Saudi State TV said on Twitter.
Earlier in the day, Minister of Health Tawfiq Al-Rabiah said that the Kingdom has not registered any confirmed cases of coronavirus after testing over 290 suspected cases, reports Saudi Gazette.
Lauding the precautionary measures taken by the Kingdom since the appearance of the first coronavirus case in China, Al-Rabiah said: "We are closely monitoring all arrivals in the Kingdom, especially from the countries suffering from the disease. All suspected cases are being thoroughly checked up to ensure they are safe. Till now 298 suspected cases have been tested and all of them were found to be safe."
The minister added: "We have raised the level of health readiness to enhance prevention from the disease. We have formed a committee comprising 17 various authorities to monitor the situation. We are also working as one system to prevent infections and be prepared to deal with the disease in case of any appearance."
"I advise all the citizens and expatriates to ask the Ministry of Health in case if they have any query about preventing infection of the disease," the minister said