Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI) has banned 43 brands of substandard products, including mustard oil, soybean oil, iodised salt and semai (vermicelli).
The government agency has instructed manufacturers, suppliers, wholesalers and retailers to refrain from selling, distributing and making commercial advertisements of those banned products without a BSTI re-approval by improving their quality.
It has also ordered the manufacturers to withdraw the already sold products from the market, according to a press release issued on Monday.
The BSTI collected some samples of these products from the open market through its surveillance team.
Following a test in the laboratory, it found that those were inferior in quality as per the Bangladesh Standard.
Earlier, the BSTI banned 17 more products as they were also found substandard.
According to the BSTI, 521 samples of various products were collected from the market on the occasion of holy Ramadan.
In the first phase, 251 samples were tested and 17 of them failed to pass the test. Of the remaining 260 samples, 43 were found substandard in the second phase.
The 43 banned products are:
1. Suresh Mustard Oil of Annapurna Oil Mills
2. Chawli Flower Mustard Oil of Bengal Oil Mills
3. Ruby Mustard Oil of BL Oil Mills
4. Illish Mustard Oil of Padma Oil Mills
5. Ring Mustard Oil of Rupon Oil Mills
6. Tiger Mustard Oil of Loknath Oil Mills
7. Kalyani fortified edible rice bran oil of Ali Natural Oil Mills
8. Sundrop fruit and vegetable juice (Aloe Vera) of Mymensingh Agro Ltd
9. Danish Coriander Powder, Curry Powder (Beef Masala), and Curry Powder (Chicken Masala), of Narayanganj Danish Foods Ltd
10. Alooz (potato chips) of Bombay Sweets and Co Ltd-2
11. Ideal Curry Powder of Ideal Agro Products
12. Priya Special Laccha Semai of Priya Food Products
13. Saudia Laccha Semai of Saudia Food Products
14. Four Star Curry Powder (Barbecue Masala) of Four Star Food Products
15. AZA Ideal Curry Powder (Meat Kala Bhuna Masala) of AZA Ideal Agro Food and Beverage
16. Dolphin Idodised Salt of Surovi Salt Iodation
17. Mayor Iodised Salt of Shaptadinga Salt Industries
18. Pubali Iodised Salt of Pubali Salt Industries
19. Tomato Iodised Salt and Ali Iodised Salt of Ali Salt Industries
20. Tripti Iodised Salt of New Quality Salt Industries
21. Diganta Iodised Salt of Pragati Salt Industries
22. Shakti mustard oil of Shakti Edible Products
23. Turag mustard Oil of Turag Oil Mills
24. Mustard oil of SK Agro Processor
25. Prome Mustard Oil of Prome Agro Foods
26. Unnamed open-drum fortified palm oil of Rangpur
27. Open-drum fortified palm and soybean oil of Lalmonirhat
28. Imported refined sugar, Ottogi Curry Hot brand's curry powder of Fihat International of Dhaka's Arambagh
29. High-speed diesel, unloaded motor gasoline-premium (octane) and motor gasoline-regular (petrol) of Chhonda Filling Station and GM Filling Station in Rajshahi's Nowdapara
30. High-speed diesel and unloaded motor gasoline-regular (petrol) of Motiur Filling Station in Rajshahi's Paba
31. Unloaded motor gasoline-premium (octane) and motor gasoline-regular (petrol) of Asadullah and Brothers Filling Station in Paba