It is being suspected that the lunch provider, Seven Hill restaurant's food is what's caused the mass food poisoning.
At least 25 people including 17 journalists have fallen ill from food poisoning on Saturday during the coverage of the ongoing Bangabandhu Bangladesh Premier League.
It is being suspected that the lunch provider, Seven Hill restaurant's food is what has caused the mass food poisoning.
On receiving the news, the Bangladesh Cricket Board have decided to terminate its contract with Seven Hill restaurant - the regular food provider at the press box.
Seven Hill has been sourcing food to the media center since the start of BBPL 2019 on December 11 and since then the questions have been raised over the quality of the food. It is understood that the food, which comes in boxes from the restaurant, are prepared long before it is served for lunch and evening supper.
"I am suffering from food poisoning since last night [Friday]. Had a tough time vomiting and suffered severe dysentery. I had at one point fainted while in the toilet. I am not in shape to come to the field [SBNS] to cover the matches," informed Maasranga TV seniors sports reporter Zahid Chowdhury in the WhatsApp group maintained by the BCB on Saturday.
Prothom Alo sports editor Tarek Mahmud and RisingBD sports reporter Yeasin Hasan, along with The Daily Star reporter Nabid Yeasin also complained of suffering from food poisoning for last two days alongside many others.
Facing such an occurance, the BCB president Nazmul Hasan was reached by the media in order to inform him of the issue. The chairman of the BBPL governing council Sheikh Sohel, informed that they will investigate the issue and solve the matter.
"Being the chairman, I have taken the matter seriously. Food supply is related to logistic department and I will talk to them and we will also investigate the matter," Sohel told the media.
On the other hand, the BBPL member secretary and BCB director Ismail Haider Mollick said that it's a matter of concern and such complaints will not occur again. "I am aware of the matter and it's a matter of concern. I have already instructed them to change the food and obviously we will look into the matter seriously so that such complaints do not come again," Mollick said.