Experts say the installation and maintenance of an AC is very important, but it receives little value in Bangladesh
The use of Air Conditioners (AC) in Bangladesh is rising continuously. But with that is also coming reports about frequent AC explosion in recent years.
Special care should be taken before buying an AC, and it is better to buy from the brand's own showrooms in order to avoid being cheated on with the purchase of a fake one. Markets are already flooded with low-quality counterfeit ACs.
Experts say the installation and maintenance of an AC is very important, but it receives little value in Bangladesh.
- When an AC needs more than regular maintenance, professional service technicians should always be hired.
- Routinely replace or clean AC filters. Clogged, dirty filters block normal airflow and reduce AC's efficiency significantly and cause accidents.
- Evaporator and condenser coils of ACs should be checked and cleaned every year.
- The aluminum fins on evaporator and condenser coils easily bend and can block airflow through it. AC wholesalers sell a tool named "fin comb" which combs fins back into nearly original condition.
- Occasionally pass a stiff wire through the unit's drain channels to unclog them.
- Inspect the seal between the AC and the window frame to ensure it makes contact with the unit's metal case at the start of each cooling session.
- Cover your room AC or remove and store it in the winter season. It will protect the unit from winter weather and debris.
How to avoid AC accidents
- Have your AC regularly serviced by professional technicians.
- Determine the right capacity of AC as per the room size.
- Buy reliable branded AC.
- Give the AC an occasional break and avoid running it for a long time.
- Regularly check electrical connections, sockets, filters etc.
- Use circuit breakers at home to avoid high voltage.
- Do not use AC during rains and thunderstorms.
Possible causes of AC accidents
- Using old or substandard AC
- Not using AC of proper capacity as per the room size
- Jam created by dirt inside the compressor
- Gas leaks from an AC
- Prolonged running of AC, which increases pressure and makes the machine hot
- Electrical wiring inside or outside the AC, which can cause short circuits
- Pressure caused by high voltage electricity on electronic devices
- Not servicing AC for a long time
- Running AC during thunderstorms or rain unless there is a good earthing system