The incident took place when a boy entered the water tank to clean it up and fell unconscious due to the leakage of poisonous gas
Seven people died after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning an underground water tank in Pakistan's southwest Balochistan province, police said on Monday.
Police officials in the area told local media that the incident happened at a wholesale shop located on the Trench Road in Chaman, the country's southwest city bordering Afghanistan.
The incident took place when a boy entered the water tank to clean it up and fell unconscious due to the leakage of poisonous gas. After that, several others entered the well to rescue the boy and also fell unconscious, said police officials.
Following the incident, rescue teams along with police personnel reached the spot and pulled out seven bodies and shifted them to a nearby hospital.
Police feared that at least two more persons are still trapped in the underground water reservoir, adding that efforts are being made to retrieve them.
Further investigations are underway regarding the incident.