Saturday, May 23, will be the last day of the holy month of Ramadan, and Sunday, May 24 will be the first day of Shawwal, as well as Eid Al Fitr, the Australian National Imams Council has announced, reports the Khaleej Times.
"Although we have been deprived of attending the mosques during this holy month of Ramadan due to the current situation of Covid-19, Allah SWT has not deprived us from the honour of worshipping him. It has been by Allah's grace that our homes have transformed into mosques, full of the remembrance of Allah, supplication to him and the recitation of the Holy Quran. We thank Allah SWT for granting us the opportunity to worship Him throughout the month of Ramadan," the council said.
"After consulting members of the Australian Fatwa Council and further inquiries to the local and global observatories, it has been confirmed that the new moon of the month of Shawwal will set before sunset on Friday, May 22, which is Ramadan 29. Thus, the ability to sight the moon on that day in Australia after sunset is impossible," it added.
On Friday, Turkey also announced May 24 as the first day of Eid Al Fitr as the Shawwal crescent moon was not seen on Friday.
According to the Astronomy Centre, Indonesia and Malaysia have also officially confirmed May 24 as first day of Eid.
Saudi Arabia on Friday again reported more coronavirus recoveries than new infections.
According to the health ministry, 2,642 new Covid-19 cases and 2,963 recoveries were recorded over the past 24 hours, raising the total number of infections to 67,719 and recoveries to 39,003 in the Kingdom, reports the Saudi Gazette.
The country's Ministry of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance has called on all imams in the Kingdom not to hold Eid prayers in mosques across the Kingdom.
In a circular issued on behalf of the Minister of Islamic Affairs, Call and Guidance, Sheikh Abdullatif Al-Asheikh, to all its branches, the ministry has instructed the employees of mosques not to hold Eid prayers in mosques and prayer areas in the Kingdom.
The move is part of the temporary suspension of the gatherings in mosques in line with the precautionary measures that the Ministry continues to implement to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in tandem with the efforts of the state in this regard.
The ministry said 13 more people have died, raising the Kingdom's relatively low death toll to 369.
Of the newly detected patients, Riyadh saw a whopping 856 cases followed by Jeddah with 403 cases.
Mecca, Madina and Dammam reported 289, 205 and 194 cases respectively.
The expatriates made up 62 percent of the new cases with citizens accounting for the remaining 38 percent.
Despite an increase in daily confirmed infections in the Kingdom, the number of recoveries continues to grow and surpass new infections.