The names of many other people who are involved in illicit casino businesses are also beginning to surface
Many influential leaders of the Jubo League are living in fear after the arrest of casino kingpin Ismail Hossain Samrat rocked the political landscape.
The names of many other people who are involved in illicit casino businesses are also beginning to surface.
People continue to speculate if the raids will end with Samrat's arrest.
However, law enforcers say there is no reason to wrap-up the crackdown as the job is not done yet.
"The government has initiated the crackdown and the people will benefit from it. Wrapping it up suddenly will damage the impression of the whole operation," said a number of security officials familiar with the government's anti-casino operation.
Civil society members and political analysts also advocate continuing the raids. "Arresting one Samrat will not stop corruption, terrorism and tender manipulation. The patrons of such criminals must be brought to book," they said, urging the government to initiate sector-wise anti-corruption drives.
The Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) started the raids in September. Benazir Ahmed, the director general of the elite force said the operation will continue.
"Nobody is above the law. If anyone commits a crime, he will be brought to book no matter how powerful he is," Benazir told the media on Sunday.
In the meantime, Dhaka University teacher Md Tawohidul Haque told The Business Standard that the situation would not have taken such a nasty turn had the government carried out these raids earlier.
"The raids launched 18 days ago deliver a clear message to political parties and the people," said the assistant professor welcoming the raids.
He emphasised the need for a coordinated approach to stamp out corruption, terrorism and extortion for the sake of good governance.
"Criminals like Samrat do not turn into casino Mughals on their own. You need to manage the administration, political parties and the media in order to open and run your illicit business," said Tawohidul Haque who believes such operations will instil morality in parties and the administration.
A number of senior security personnel on condition of anonymity said that they have been ordered by the government to go on with the drives.
"Drives against corruption, terrorism and drugs will continue until further orders," they said. They also claimed the that operation will not spare anyone, no matter what their political identity.
When the raids were launched in September, the officials also could not imagine what big guns are involved in the casino business. The operation soon started exposing powerful political leaders like Samrat, Khaled and Shamim, who were previously 'untouchable'.
"We have gleaned vital information from the people in our custody. Wait, more surprises are to come," said a senior RAB official.
Awami League General Secretary Obaidul Quader also said: "Action will be taken against everyone involved in corruption and criminal activities. No one will be spared. The drive will continue until the government breaks the cycle of corruption."
Jubo League chairman in spotlight
Jubo League Chairman Mohammad Omar Faruk Chowdhury lambasted the law enforcers publicly soon after the arrest of the organisation's Organising Secretary Khaled Mahmud Bhuiyan.
He labelled it "a plot against the party", criticised the administration and openly supported some controversial Jubo League leaders.
Faruk later backtracked from his stance in the wake of strong criticism.
On Sunday, the government slapped a travel ban on the Jubo League chairman.
The central bank has ordered commercial banks to provide financial information on him.
Party sources said that numerous allegations have been made against the chairman. Although the central Jubo League leaders have tried to sweep those under the rug, all the charges now are open for discussion.
The arrest of Samrat, Khaled Mahmud Bhuyan and GK Shamim apparently brought Faruk and his involvement in casinos to the front. And he seems to have gone into hiding for the last four days. He has not attended any party activities in this time.
The fact that he is also not available on his cell phone is adding to the suspicion.