Abdullah Arefin, deputy assistant director of the Fire Service and Civil Defense (Narayanganj), confirmed that the blast was caused by gas leakage
Titas Gas Managing Director Ali Mohammad has warned its employees of stern action if their negligence is found over the explosion in a Narayanganj mosque that killed 14 and injured 26 others.
He made the remark while visiting the site of the blast this morning.
Abdullah Arefin, deputy assistant director of the Fire Service and Civil Defense (Narayanganj division), confirmed that the blast was caused by gas leakage.
After investigating the spot soon after the accident he said, "There was a leak in the gas line that passes through under the base floor of the mosque. It can be presumed that the leaked gas, which got trapped inside the air-conditioned mosque, has caused the explosion triggered by an electric circuit spark. The gas was bubbling out while we were spraying water to extinguish the fire."
Quoting local people, Debashis Bardhan, deputy director (Dhaka division) of Fire Service and Civil Defence, said, "There's a gas line of Titas beneath the mosque. People used to smell gas inside the mosque sometimes. But Titas authorities reportedly did not solve the gas line problem."
Titas MD said, "The allegations are being investigated. If they were found to be true, action will be taken against the guilty officers and employees."
"A five-member inquiry committee was formed to look into the incident, he added.
The grisly explosion took place around 8.30pm on Friday at the Baitus Salah Jame Mosque located in West Tolla area in Narayanganj's Fatullah.
More than 50 worshipers sustained crucial burn injuries, while six air conditioners exploded inside the mosque triggered by a gas leak.
Around 150 people were attending the prayer when the incident took place. The explosion rocked the mosque with a bang causing the window glasses to blow off. Later, five fighting units brought the fire under control.