The computer containing video footage of the attack was stolen, but police have detained two alleged attackers
The students of Dhaka University yesterday gave the authorities 24 hours to arrest the attackers of Vice President of Dhaka University Central Students' Union (Ducsu) Nurul Haque Nur and his supporters.
Earlier on Sunday, leaders and activists of the Bangladesh Chhatra League and Muktijuddho Moncho had allegedly carried out the attack on the university campus.
The demonstrators issued the ultimatum during a protest rally at the base of Raju Memorial Sculpture at the university, under the banner of "Shontrash Birodhi Chhatra Oikko" (anti-terror alliance).
They also demanded exemplary punishment for the attackers and resignation of the vice chancellor and proctor of Dhaka University for their failure in ensuring a peaceful atmosphere on the campus.
Abdullah Hil Baki, leader of the Bangladesh Council to Protect General Students' Rights, said, "The Chhatra League men attacked VP Nur for no reason. The VC and the proctor failed to protect him. They have lost the ethical rights to retain their positions.
"We will launch a tough movement at all universities across the country if law enforcers fail to arrest the attackers by within 24 hours," he added.
Ducsu leader Akhtar Hossain said the Dhaka University authorities patronised the attackers. "They cannot avoid their responsibility. So, the VC and the proctor must resign."
Addressing the rally, Ganasanghati Andolon Chief Coordinator Zonayed Saki said, "Attacking students using the Muktijuddho (Liberation War) banner is a big insult to the Liberation War."
Muktijuddho Mancha was formed under the patronage of the current administration, he alleged.
Saki expressed solidarity with the protesters and demanded punishment for the attackers.
The students brought out a procession on the campus, chanting slogans against the Bangladesh Chhatra League, Muktijuddho Mancha, and university vice chancellor and proctor.
Students from different departments joined the procession, along with the leaders of the student rights council and leftist organisations.
Saddam Hossain, Dhaka University unit general secretary of the Bangladesh Chhatra League told The Business Standard that they were the victims of a media trial.
"No Chhatra League men had attacked VP Nur. But the media blamed us," he said adding the attack was undesirable.
Meanwhile, police have detained two people over the attack.
Detectives picked up Muktijuddho Mancha Secretary Al Mamun and its DU chapter secretary Yasir Arafat Turjo on Sunday night from Shahbagh, said Abdul Baten, additional commissioner of the Detective Branch of the Dhaka Metropolitan Police.
Meanwhile, physicians removed Tuhin Farabi, a victim of the attack, off life support after his health condition improved.
"We are preparing to transfer him to the neurology ward from intensive care unit at the Dhaka Medical College Hospital," said Brigadier General AKM Nasir Uddin, the hospital's director.
"Five of the injured are currently undergoing treatment at the hospital."
The students' rights council Joint Convener Farabi is a student of a private university.
The remaining four undergoing treatment at the hospital are: Ducsu VP Nur, and students' rights council leaders Faruk Hossain, APM Sohail and Aminur.
Nur and around 27 of his supporters were injured in the attack carried out by activists of a faction of Muktijuddho Mancha – allegedly comprising mostly of Chhatra League members – after Ducsu Assistant General Secretary and DU Chhatra League General Secretary Saddam Hussain threatened Nur with dire consequences if he did not leave his office.
Video footage 'missing'
The video footage of the attack has gone missing as the monitor and CPU that monitored the CCTVs were stolen.
Immediately after the attack, Ducsu's Senior Administrative Officer Abul Kalam Azad told The Business Standard that he went to the DU proctor and the Ducsu treasurer offices to inform them about the incident.
"But when I came back, I found no monitor and CPU in my room," he said.
Meanwhile, Awami League Presidium member Jahangir Kabir Nanak condemned the attack on Nur and others.
Visiting the injured at the hospital on Sunday night, he said, "The attackers will be identified and brought to book."
Awami League Joint Secretary AFM Bahauddin Nasim, Chhatra League acting president Al-Nahean Khan Joy and acting general secretary Lekhak Bhattacharjee accompanied Nanak.
DU Vice Chancellor Prof Md Akhtaruzzaman, Proctor AKM Golam Rabbani, Nagorik Oikya Convener Mahmudur Rahman Manna, and BNP Joint Secretary General Habibun Nabi Khan Sohel also visited Nur and the others at the hospital on Sunday night.
Nur has come under attacks multiple times, allegedly Chhatra League members, since June 2018.
Nur came to prominence in 2018 as a joint-convener of the student rights council, which led the countrywide quota reform movement.