On August 11, 2020, a 34-week pregnant lady of 27 years, with her 3rd pregnancy, came to United Hospital Emergency department with a history of ingestion of insecticide 30 hours back
United Hospital has successfully managed a first ever reported case of (organophosphorus compound) OPC poisoning in newborn through transplacental transmission in Bangladesh.
The transmission was for a poisoned just-born neonate, born 30hours after ingestion of insecticide by his mother.
"This probably is the first ever reported transplacental transmission of OPC poisoning case in a just-born neonate in the country, which we successfully managed," said Dr Nargis Ara Begum, senior consultant Neonatology of United Hospital.
"Me & my team, we all feel rewarded to be able to hand over the lovely baby in a stable condition to the family," she added.
On August 11, 2020, a 34-week pregnant lady of 27 years, with her 3rd pregnancy, came to United Hospital Emergency department with a history of ingestion of insecticide 30 hours back.
With the guidance of the Hospital's ObGyn Consultants, an immediate caesarean section was done on her, and a male baby was delivered.
With the effect of OPC transmitted from the mother's blood to the baby through the placenta, the baby on birth did not cry and did not show any signs of life.
He was repeatedly resuscitated in the labour ward and was after that intubated for putting up in artificial respiration. He was showing all signs of OPC poisoning. He was managed with Atropine, Pralidoxim, and other IV supportive medications in Neonatal ICU, from where he was discharged in a stable condition after 18days.
The mother also needed critical care management. Now the mother and the baby, both are doing well.