What would be your reaction if you wake up in a fine morning and discover that the phone you left to be charged overnight got burnt? You would probably be shocked or find it hard to believe.
Whatever the reactions are, according to The Guardian, a British daily, experts have warned that electronic devices should not be charged on potentially flammable surfaces. If you are thinking about where it is safe to charge your phone, then experts’ answer of it and other electrical safety questions are as follows:
Where is it safe to charge a phone?
Paul Shaw, head of fire investigation at Staffordshire fire rescue, suggests not tucking phones under pillows or charge them on bedding. “It’s called thermal runaway in the battery. It self-heats. It keeps going and going.
“A work surface or wooden side table are fine, because the battery won’t output enough heat.” Shaw recommends using the charger that came with the phone.
Phil Buckle, chief executive at the charity Electrical Safety First, advises against charging devices overnight at all, saying, “When you go to bed, switch everything off.”
Is it safe to change a lightbulb if you don’t know whether the light was on or not when the bulb blew?
“Yes, as long as you don’t stick your finger where the lightbulb should go,” Shaw says.
“If the bulb flickers, stop and turn the light off,” he adds.
Should you turn off or unplug everything before you go out?
Shaw suggests switching off everything that doesn’t have a timer, including the tumble dryer, dishwasher and washing machine – but he adds that it is fine to leave on the fridge, and anything with a digital clock.
Is it dangerous to leave the power turned on if there’s no plug in the socket?
No. “Sockets are designed to just be there,” Buckle says.
Should you turn your TV off in a thunderstorm?
“I really don’t see that as a risk and I’ve never bothered to unplug my telly in a thunderstorm,” Buckle says.
If the toast gets stuck in the toaster, how is it safe to get it out?
Turn off the plug, remove it and then use a broad-bladed plastic utensil such as a spatula to retrieve whatever you’ve lost.
What is your absolute electrical must-don’t?
“Don’t use electrical garden tools such as a lawnmower or hedge-trimmer without a residual current device,” Buckle warns. “If you don’t have one, cutting through the cable could be life-threatening. You can buy one to use on the socket you plug your mower into.”
He also suggests not “leaving a washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher on while going to bed”. Dishwashers can have problems with control units and door switches; tumble dryers with an inadequate seal can have lint or fluff blown directly on to the element. “If you’re leaving your tumble dryer on, make sure you remain on the same floor. If you have concerns, fit an additional smoke alarm.”