The state minister also said that their highest priority is to keep the player safe from unnecessary trouble
The Bangladesh cricket team still awaits a decision on the situation regarding Shakib Al Hasan. Amid a rumour of him withholding information about a bookie approaching him, the skipper of the Bangladesh Test and the T20I national team is almost certain to miss the India tour.
A local daily reported that Shakib had been approached by a bookie two years ago. By the rules of the ICC, he was supposed to report it, but he did not do so.
Leading cricket website ESPNCricinfo has also reported that the ace all-rounder is currently under investigation by the ICC on this matter.
The Ministry of Youth and Sports has asked the International Cricket Council (ICC) to clarify this incident.
While talking to the media, State Minister for Youth and Sports Zahid Ahsan Rasel said that he is aware of the situation and he has also asked the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) to be in constant communication with the ICC.
The state minister also said that their highest priority is to keep the player safe from unnecessary trouble.
However, BCB says it still has not received any official letter from the ICC. The ICC has not made any comments either at this stage. A press conference is expected to be held at Mirpur later in the day.
Shakib Al Hasan stayed away from the pre-tour camp, and did not participate in the practice matches ahead of the team's high-profile India tour.
The squad is set to leave for the tour on Wednesday, and Shakib is not going to be a part of it.
In his absence, senior-most player Mushfiqur Rahim might lead the team in Tests while either Mahmudullah Riyadh or Mosaddek Hosain are set to lead the three T20 Internationals.
Bangladesh begins its India tour with the three T20Is starting on November 3. The team will then head to Indore to kick off its World Test Championship campaign from November 14. The second Test, To be held at Eden Gardens, will begin on November 22.
Shakib recently spearheaded a players' strike before calling it off after the BCB gave an assurance that their demands, including a pay hike, will be met
Sources say that the ace all-rounder will travel to the US tonight on a pre-scheduled visit. From there he was supposed to join the team in India before the first T20I. However, this is now unlikely to happen.